Welcome to Richland Academy
We have welcomed international visitors to Richland for over a decade. We believe that connecting globally is a skill of 21st Century learning. What better way to learn than to authentically connect personally, and maintain that connection virtually? The success of our program is based on reciprocity: we believe global relationships and cultural understanding are imperative; and that we stand to benefit as much from our visitors as they benefit from us. Visiting students are immersed in Richland’s learning environment, and become members of our inviting community from the moment they arrive.
Richland Academy’s International Student Visitor Program is a short-stay experiential education program focusing on English immersion, building relationships, establishing global connections, and firsthand cultural encounters.
“Richland Academy is a great school because during class time we do a lot of activities that involve team work. For example, we are working on First Lego League this year and we have to do research to find the solution to a problem dealing with trash. Also, the students do not discriminate others, and I think that’s a good reason for International students to attend Richland.” ~ Y.K. International Richland Student
Richland’s International Student Visitor Program
What you will experience:
- Being officially welcomed at a school-wide Assembly
- Having a dedicated buddy as your friend and guide during your stay
- Immersion in the English language, both written and oral
- Individualized attention from our experienced Faculty
- Lessons from across the Ontario curriculum, including literacy, math, science and social studies (investigative research)
- Experience in specialty subjects: visual arts, performing arts, French, and athletics
- Opportunities to share your cultural heritage with your class, and the school community
- Building lasting friendships with Richland students
- Firsthand experience of Canadian culture and education
- A farewell ceremony at a school-wide Assembly
- A certificate of participation from Richland’s International Student Visitor Program
- A digital portfolio keepsake of their experience
Frequently Asked Questions
Do International student visitors need to purchase a Richland Academy uniform?
For short-stay International students, we do not expect families to purchase a Richland Academy uniform. However, we require students to have suitable attire for physical education (eg. track pants or shorts and a t-shirt) with non-marking running shoes. We also ask that students in our International Student Visitor Program have appropriate indoor and outdoor footwear to change in to while at Richland Academy.
Are snacks and lunch provided?
Snacks and lunch are not included in the International Student Visitor Program. For the convenience of International families, we can arrange for snacks and hot lunch from our food service provider at an additional fee.
Will an International student visitor receive a report card from Richland Academy?
During a short-stay visit it is difficult for Richland’s Faculty to significantly assess the progress of International Students for the purpose of creating a report card. The intention of the International Student Visitor Program is to provide students with a rewarding experience, immersed in our inquiry environment that honours student voice and choice.
“I always get the chance to work with my classmates. I am learning to work in a team. I am learning how to collect new information. I am also learning how to improve my English every day.” ~ A.R. International Richland student
For more information on Richland Academy’s International Student Program, please contact Richland’s Head of School, Jill Colyer.